Sunday, November 30, 2008

Fasting

This has always been a hard thing for me to understand. "Fasting and prayer". We pray for things. And many times when we REALLLY want something, then we pray and fast for it. Only-why? Is prayer not enough? What about when many people choose to pray or pray and fast for the same purpose...is that prayer & fasting any stronger than the prayer and fasting offered by just one person (Especially if the one person is the main person to whom it applies, and that person is both righteous and faithful?) It makes it sound like God will surely answer that prayer if only we prove that it is something that many people also want. It makes it sound like we are scrambling to fill a petition with enough signitures to allow our voice to be heard. Of course this is ridiculous, but I still find myself confused about how fasting makes any sort of difference.

When my testimony on a certain principle is lacking, I try to rely on that of others, the most important. Do I have a testimony of the Prophet and the apostles, that they communicate with God and are messengers for us? Yes. Absolutely. And do they have a testimony of this principle? Yes.

Thankfully I am not the only one confused, and so tonight my roommate and I spent a lot of time studying the words of the Prophets, searching on lds.org in the gospel library for some help, some explanations on the scriptures we read that talk about these things:
  • praying for healings
  • fasting with a purpose
  • God's will and our desires
We found some really good information, that I may want to look back on and read so I will post them here so I can find them later, and maybe they will be useful to someone else.
  1. The Law of the Fast By Elder L. Tom Perry. "The law of the fast has three great purposes. First, it provides assistance to the needy through the contribution of fast offerings, consisting of the value of meals from which we abstain. Second, a fast is beneficial to us physically." (these two I can comprehend) "Third, it is to increase humility and spirituality on the part of each individual." This article helped to explain the third purpose, and most interestingly, the word choice leads me to think that fasting does not directly impact the answer to the prayer, or strengthen the prayer. Instead fasting provides the person with a spiritual strength; sometimes the spirit of prophecy, being blessed with the power of the spirit, giving humility, allowing you to hear/feel an answer to your prayer, etc
  2. The Blessings of a Proper Fast Elder Carl B Pratt (This reminds me of a certain Pratt friend I know ;-) I love what he defines as a "proper fast", notice when he mentions fasing with others the blessing is usually not an answer to a prayer, but a blessing of bringing the group closer together, humbling all, etc. "The purpose of our fast may be a very personal one. Fasting can help us overcome personal flaws and sins. It can help us overcome our weaknesses—help them become strengths. Fasting can help us become more humble, less prideful, less selfish, and more concerned about the needs of others. It can help us see more clearly our own mistakes and weaknesses and help us be less prone to criticize others. Or our fast may have a focus on a family challenge. A family fast might help increase love and appreciation among family members and reduce the amount of contention in the family, or we might fast as a couple to strengthen our marriage bonds. A purpose of our fast as priesthood holders might be to seek the Lord's guidance in our callings, as President Hinckley has demonstrated, or we might fast with our home teaching companion to know how to help one of our families."
  3. Tragedy or Destiny-The best answer we could ask for as to When does God intervene in the events in our lives? "When there is faith, and when it is not one's time."

5 comments:

Cherise said...

good job amber. Your question left me thinking, but the answer reaffirmed what I already know to be true. Sometimes we all need to question what we believe to reaffirm or sometimes understand a little better what we hold close to our hearts.

SandyKay said...

I liked this post, Amber. You came up with some great information and insights. Thanks for sharing.

Delise said...

For me fasting brings clarity and focus when combined with prayer. When my stomach growls, I can think again about what I am praying for and why, what is the purpose and what is the Father's will...I need contant reminders you know and it doesn't get any better than a hungry tummy! :)

I liked reading what you found on lds.org What did we ever do without it?

Heidi said...

Amber,
You are sitting in the other room on my couch right now watching tv, (i think that is kind of ironic) that I am writing this on your blog and I could say it to you just as easily... :) I appreciated your determination to search for some answers, the talk we ran across was very timely for me and helped me relax in trying to figure out how what to attribute to God and what to not attribute to God and realize we can't really prove either way, but we can have faith and know he's there. Thanks, you were an answer to some of my prayers and questions. ;)
Heidi

Missletoe said...

I was mulling similar feelings over this afternoon after snapping at the kids. I couldn't argue at the moment that fasting was brining a more harmonious home... but thought maybe it was the refiners fire (and I was getting burned up instead of more brilliant). Thanks for your insight. It gives me a better starting point for next time!