Thursday, September 11, 2008

What you have all been waiting for...

Rach was psyched that she got to ride a bus again...even if it is a 45 minute ride . I thought that was a bit much, since the school is only a mile away, but they drop off all the kindergartners in front of their house so it just takes a while. I compromised and said she could ride it home but I will take her in the mornings.
Here is her school playground. Some side notes about school:
  • Her school has only preschool and kindergarten (the elementary school for 1st -6th is next door) There are 11 kindergarten classes.
  • They provide free breakfast and lunch for every student
  • There are 19 kids in her class--and her teacher said that is a high enrollment for her (Rach's last school had 29 students on the first day and after adding a new teacher it was down to 22).
  • Some kids ride the bus for 2 hours to and from school
  • When I drop her off they greet both of us with a handshake and say "Yá'át'ééh Abíní!" (pronounced 'yata a beanie' )which means good morning
  • Don't worry--classes are in english, but they do teach Navajo culture--and she learns some of the vocabulary, and will learn to count etc in Navajo
  • There is one other Anglo child in her class, and a few others in the school
  • There is an aquatic center next to the schools and Rach will get to go with her class for an hour every other week (as cool as that is, she didn't believe me that it was just as cool as a field trip)



Here is the view from our back door. Miles of glorious open space. It makes it not so bad being in a one bedroom--I hope our next place has this same view.

I have to go do laundry --but I will post more later

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Wow, that's crazy! Al would love to move to a place like that--too bad they never seem to have universities for him to teach at.

ducklips said...

Believe it or not, I am a little envious after looking at your pictures and hearing about the school. What a beautiful place.