7 years ago
Monday, September 15, 2008
Gold Medal Winner
Tonight we went on a family hike...but this was a lot different than our leisurely pace the other night. Some natives from Sam's work invited us on a hike, it was about 4 miles. We started at the top of one lookout and hiked all the way to the bottom, then across for a couple miles and then back up another side. Rach was a trooper!! I told her I would make her a gold medal for finishing, (even though she did ride on Dad's shoulders for a little while).
This was the easy part, I didn't get many pictures of the steap downhill climb-but it was a doosy.
The trail that we went on is for natives only. They actually had to get a permit to take us White folk with them--so I was taking lots of pictures--not sure when or if I would get the chance again. The land is still owned by the individual families who grew up here, and there are many places near their homes that you cannot take pictures.

We started the hike at 6pm and finished around 8:15--when it was nice and dark. Thank goodness for the full moon which led us for the last 15 mintes or so.
Definitely one for the record books. I love it when other people plan things and it gets me to do things I wouldn't normally do--there is no way I would have been just starting a 4 mile hike at 6pm!--but I am so glad we did.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






































6 comments:
Wow, you guys are having such an adventure! Keep having fun on the rez, I can't wait to see what's next :)
Gorgeous pictures! Looks like the new camera's working well.
What an amazing place and I am so jealous that you got to go on that hike on the rez. There are not many people that get to do that.
I love the mountains up there. I didn't really appreciate it until I moved away and started dreaming of the red rock. Now I think it is beautiful.
Good for you guys! I'm not the outdoorsy kind of person, but I'm sure glad you guys had fun!
Love to hike! So much fun. I'm really impressed Rachel kept up. What a doll she is. It's fun seeing all of your pictures - such different scenery than what I'm seeing every day!
That is really pretty. I like the new camera too! Well, your stuff is on it's way. I guess it should be arriving Friday sometime. YEAH! You'll have couches! :) Hope you are doing well.
Heidi
Post a Comment