After seeing some cute pictures of a mom who had sewn cute little aprons for her kids I was inspired to make one for Rach. So we bought some cute fabric while we were in town last time. She picked out this fabric, and I told her that we couldn't buy it because it wasn't "apron" fabric. It is flannel like you would use for kids pajamas. And she just looked at me and said "why not?" and then I realized she was right. Sometimes I need the help of a 5 year old to think outside the box. we had a lot of fun -I will definitely have to think of some more saturday projects like this because there isn't anything else to do here :-)
Speaking of things to do here, I was thinking that maybe we should ease up on our trips back to Phoenix because if we keep going home most weekends we won't ever really experience the fun stuff up here. But in talking to a few natives, and quizzing them on what they do over the weekends...i realized that they leave on the weekends too, especially after pay day. So in going home every other weekend-we are in fact getting the true reservation experience. YAY--when is the next 3 day weekend?? Veteran's Day--Sweet and only a couple weeks away! Plus another reason to celebrate with a road trip--the gas prices are dropping like crazy! They have been dropping about 10 cents every couple of days and today it is down to $2.85. If that doesn't justify a road trip I don't know what does.
PS-sewing tips for an apron. I would definitely suggest using ribbon as the ties instead of sewing a fabric strip like the pattern said--SO MUCH EASIER!! and As I was starting to sew the D-rings on the neck strap I had Rachel try them out to see if she would be able to fasten them herself, and her brilliant suggestion was "mom, why don't we just sew it together and not use these, then I can just put it over my head myself. " She really is brilliant. We also made the ribbon on the sides long enough so that she can wrap it around to the front where she is able to tie it in a bow herself.






































5 comments:
Very cute! Rachel is one smart cookie!
Heidi ;)
way to channel your inner "molly homemaker". i have a few projects i could ship your way if you are feeling a little wastefull of your time :) good job...now make one for Savanna, so i don't have too!
I am impressed with your handy work on a sewing machine. I am so bad at sewing machines. Way cute!!
Very cute apron. I smell a new business venture on the horizon for you Amber!
Very, very cute! And I probably would have responded the same way to flannel but it looks like it worked out perfectly. Besides, is she really doing so much coking that flannel's a problem? Nice work!
Post a Comment