Thursday, April 17, 2008

Dreaming of Decorating

I finally painted my kitchen blue...but something isn't right. (other than the fact that this shade of blue is not exactly what I was going for). And I have decided it is definitely the cabinets. (well, and the countertops) and until I paint those-the wall paint color will always look wrong. So I searched all over for my dream kitchen to get a better vision of what I want my end result to look like (you know-probably ten years from now) :-) Here is the kitchen I fell in love with.















Doesn't it just make you happy! :-) To make this happen someday I would need to:
  • buy new countertops

  • new windows (they just don't make them cute like that here)

  • add crowne moulding

  • and a new sink.

But for now...maybe I can:

  • paint them white

  • buy new handles

  • add some feet/legs to the bottom of the cupboards and the island to make them look more custom. (this website got me all empowered to do it myself)-thanks to my neighbor for sharing it.

  • add some bar stools (yard sales here I come!) :-)

  • come up with an inexpensive way to add a backsplash
    Maybe I will try this shade of grey/blue -it is more neutral and subtle.
    Paint colors: Aura by Benjamin Moore Walls: Feather Grey Ceilng: Cascade White

by the way -all of these pictures are from http://ratemyspace.hgtv.com my sis told me about this site-and the cool thing about it is you get to see how normal people decorate their places and each one is unique (unlike all of the rooms in say a pottery barn catalog-even though I love that style-sometimes I need a little more variety) :-)

I love this frame that my neighbor added to her bathroom mirror.--And thanks for telling me all her tips so I can copy it :-)

8 comments:

Erin said...

Ohhhh...your dream kitchen is pretty cute! But so is the kitchen you have. :) I like the blue.

Kirsten Krason said...

You can do it!!! I love Love Love white cabinets! I hear they get dirty easily though. But it is worth it.

Delise said...

I painted my kitchen cabinets in KS. It's a lot of work but I loved the clean, fresh, updated look it gave my kitchen. I say go for it and then post pictures! Woo hoo!

Mhanson said...

Like I said before what a brave girl you are. Good job on your kitchen. I do love the clean look of the white cabinets and marble countertops. Just makes me want to cook and that's pretty unusual!! Lets finally get some pictures on our walls someday!

Cherisa said...

I'm a big fan of blue in general so I like the walls. I think white cabinets would definitely set the wall color off perfectly, though. Whenever I watch a redecorating show on TLC they make painting cabinets look easy but I'm sure it's a lot more work than how it looks on TV. I'm just jealous you have your own place to decorate at all! :)

Stephanie said...

Thanks for posting the link to ratemyspace. I loved it! I think the blue looks nice and peaceful and great for the kitchen. For future paint decisions, I would be happy to offer my totally amateur ideas!

Melonius said...

That looks an awful lot like MY dream kitchen!

Liz said...

I like the way you think. What a to do list. ratemyspace is awesome, but it is how real people do it, a budget at a time. Good luck with your projects. my link isn't working for some reason but you can see what we are doing by going to thewhitehorns.blogspot, maybe we'll run into you guys soon.