Monday, December 8, 2008

Sad news

Sam's sister Susan passed away on Friday night. I am grateful that we had to opportunity to be in town for the past few days and had some very spiritual experiences talking with her. Throughout this hard time I am relying on her strength that she held onto until the end. Just the day before, she worked with her husband to write one final post on her blog. It took her all day to dictate it to him, as she would say a few words and then wait and rest a while and pick it up again later. Being hard to speak, each word that she chose spoke sentences. Not very many people have the opportunity to write such a thing, and we all treasure it. I was going to pull a few of my favorite parts to share...but I can't narrow it down. If you want, you can read it all on her blog http://lemonademakers.blogspot.com/. She definitely set the bar high and we will miss her.



I will forever remember her strength and her caring attitude throughout all of this. Despite what she experienced she found a way to hold strong to her faith in Jesus Christ, to be optimistic, and somehow even gave comfort to all of us. I know-it should have been the other way around, but in the past few weeks when she knew that we were all distraught with the realization of where things were leading, we could tell she was making a conscious effort to make us laugh. Hard to believe I know, but she mustered up funny faces to make at Rachel and had many one liners where she mocked her visitors in attempt to lighten the mood. All of us were focusing on her pain and how hard things were for her...and she was thinking of us.

When I start getting upset about how things turned out and wondering "Why?" I always remember something she wrote just after being diagnosed:
"Tonight as Justin and I were eating dinner, it was the first chance we've really had to sit and talk about our feelings and what we are going to do. Naturally the conversation turned to "Why?"After about 30 seconds we decided it was a pointless conversation to continue.My answer is that it doesn't really matter, and I'll drive myself crazy in the meantime trying to figure it out.Yes, I don't meet any of the known risk factors, and I'm only 25, but for whatever reason this is mine to own now.It may sound crazy to say this, but I really do feel blessed by so many of the events over the last few months, and I know that Justin and I and our families will continue to be blessed through whatever course this takes us." (written just after she was diagnosed in July 2008).



She decided not to dwell on the why?...and so I will try to do the same.

I know you are all wondering how we are doing. Right now we are focusing our energy on being happy that she is no longer in pain and we are enjoying reminiscing together. We also find joy thinking of her, being greeted by family in the Spirit World and being able to hear the sought after answers to some of life's biggest questions.

Susan mentioned that she wanted to set up a foundation to help others dealing with colon cancer so we are working on that and are grateful that we will have something to work on that keeps her legacy alive and also be able to turn and do service for others in similar circumstances.

Thanks for all of your prayers I know you have been thinking of us and we appreciate it.

16 comments:

Grammy Suzzy said...

Amber and Sam, I am so very, very sorry for your loss. I have kept watch on your blog the last months, and I was so touched by what an amazing person your sister was. She was wise and mature beyond her 25 years, and what she has taught us all will never be forgotten. Thank you for sharing a portion of this special special spirit with all of us!

Erin said...

I have been thinking about all of you so much. The way Sam's sister and all of you have handled this has been amazing. What a special woman she was... and what a special familiy she has. I know she is with her Heavenly Father now watching over all of you. Love you Amber.

Liz said...

i just wanted to let you know that we are all thinking about you guys and are sorry for your loss. i have just spent a few minutes reading your sisters blog and have been really impressed by her and your family! it reminded me of how much i have to be grateful for especially during this time of year.

Chelsey said...

Oh Sam I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm trying hard to make it home in time for the funeral but I don't think I'll make it. Please know our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Chelsey Grace

Casey and Brynn said...

Wow, that really touched me. Sam, words can't express my sorrow for your at this time. And Amber, thanks for sharing that on your blog. The greatest gift someone who leaves us can give...is words to inspire us and change us. She definitely has done that for me. So thank you for sharing. And thank goodness FAMILES ARE FOREVER!

Kirsten Krason said...

Oh that makes me so sad. It is nice that she was able to write down her feelings and thoughts. You guys will always have those.

Stephanie said...

I am so sorry so hear about your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Sam!

Lacie said...

I am sad for you my heart goes out to your family. Susan was so awesome for the way she handle life. I love you sis

SandyKay said...

I am so sorry, Sam and Amber, to hear news of your sister. I just read her blog and it reminded me how resilient and strong people can be in the face of such tragic events. What a lovely person Susan must have been (and is). Thanks for sharing.

Hazel said...

Amber, I was sorry to hear about Susan. Reading her blog was amazing. What an amazing person. She has inspired many and will continue to. We pray that your family be comforted at this time. What a blessing to know that eternal families are real and that you will all be united again someday. I am so sorry for your loss.

Love Hazel

Alyssa said...

I am so sorry to hear about Susan! What an amazing woman! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the whole Mortensen family!

Navarro's said...

Our prayers and thoughts are with you guys, I am so sad to hear this bad news. Hope your doing ok.

Delise said...

Sending you love in this difficult time. We will pray for you to be comforted and supported. Hugs!

Adah said...

Hi Amber,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I unfortunately know what you are going though. My sister passed away 2 months ago. It is so hard to except and to move on from. But I know we can do it. They are in a safe and loving place now.

Missletoe said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers! Thank-you for sharing.

ducklips said...

I am so sorry that your family has had to go through this. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.