Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rachels school work..and puppies


Rachel drew this when they were learning about different kinds of houses. She probably just copied what other kids in her classes were writing, but I had to laugh when I read it :-)

I am sure her uncles and aunts are wondering which one of them lives in a Teepee and which one lives in a hogan :-)

She left this note for the tooth fairy. She had put her tooth in a little box she got at school but wanted to make sure the Tooth Fairy didn't take the box when she took her tooth.  (For the record, the tooth fairy read the note, and followed her request, but the note was too big for her to carry so she left it here.)  Not sure why uncle Trevor's name made it on the note.

Offical blackmail.  I don't know exactly who this is, but I know it is not a boy in her class, it is some boy from a tv show who is a singer.  Ah...her first tween hearthrob :-)

And this one leads us to the topic of puppies.
Rachel Loves Puppies!... and kitties, and bunnies.  Really anything soft and cuddly. 



These are only the pets I could find, she has many more, one I know she has been sneaking in her backpack to school every day. 

I know some friends say I am crazy for wanting to get a dog, or driving around following rez puppies hoping they woudl come home with me.  Everyone I know who has a dog has been trying to give it away, but when your little girl has all this love to give, and just really, really, really, wants a puppy or a kitty, it is hard to watch her talking to her battery operated dog named 'Lucky' and not feel like a lame parent.  (Even if the dog does do tricks on command--I mean, for a toy dog--it is a pretty impressive dog.)  

Growing up, my family wasn't what I would consider a 'dog family', but even we had a few dogs, cats, even a bunny and a chicken, over the course of my growing up years.  Sure, maybe they didn't stick around for very long  (any pet lovers out there are probably cringing when I say that, but I admit, sometimes the animals would "run away" out of the blue-usually when we were at school) --but I know that a certain chicken found a nice new home on a big farm (after it starting pecking at my little brother who had brought it home as a chick from kindergarten)  and I am sure, the rest of the animals that disappeared found equally happy new homes as well.  :-)

 Maybe I feel guilty that she doesn't have any siblings to play with.
Maybe I am trying to fill my (and her) desire for another baby with a puppy instead.
Maybe I feel guilty that we live on the rez.
Maybe I understand she is jealous that all of her friends here have dogs (and little brothers or sisters) so I know I can do something about the dog part .
Maybe I just want to spoil my little girl sometimes and give her something that she wants.

Whatever the reason, we have decided we could handle getting a dog and we have been looking to find the perfect pet. 
Sam would like something like this:

Rachel would like something like this:

And I would like something in between :-)

Maybe a Brittany?
Something medium sized, preferrably a light shedder, easy to train, loves kids, loves to play, loves to go for walks/runs (but only when I am in the mood, like when the weather is nice) and is happy to play at home (nicely). 

More on this topic later, this post has gotten really long.

6 comments:

Grammy Suzzy said...

Amber...from wife of a DJ...she has her first "groupie crush"! http://www.justinbiebermusic.com/
From what I have heard playing here, he is young (silly me...thought he was a girl at first!), it's clean (an absolute miracle today, and he is cute! Yep, you are doomed, Mom!

Julie said...

I admittedly live under a rock, and yet I know who Justin Bieber is. "Baby" and "Somebody to love" play all the time on the radio, you have to have heard his songs!

Lacie said...

boy you have a lot of free time to blog, I am jealous.

SandyKay said...

I can't wait to hear what kind of dog you get! And just to keep you abreast of your youtube/pop culture knowledge...you should really watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTCm8tdHkfI

You and about 9 MILLION other folks. And sigh in relief that your daughter is not that crazy. And then watch this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKEQwvaYI_k&feature=related

You get youtube out there in chinle, right? :)

Sara said...

Love that she's a Justin Bieber fan... he was on Ellen yesterday... gotta love his hair! Good luck with the dog thing... u're braver than me!

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

Don't worry Amber I have no idea who Justin Bieber is. I plan on googling it right now.

I have not, nor will I ever be tempted to get a dog, but I'm sure I will lose out eventually. I'll call you for advice when I do....