Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dog sitting for a day



So a friend of ours lost their dog (a little husky pup) and I found it this weekend. Our friends were out of town for the day so we took care of it until they got back.
We thought it was a great time to practice all of our skills we have learned from watching The Dog Whisperer :) The first time we fed her we realized she had some doggy food aggression issues, she totally snapped at me when I walked by her while she was eating. But after feeding her just two more times we successfully got her to calm down--to where even Rachel could feed her. YAY! (I was, however, unable to break her of the habit of thinking that my arm was a chew toy).   Here is Rachel waiting patiently for the dog to be calm and look her in the eye before she gives her the food.

Here is Rachel holding the food (and also practicing taking it away a few times) to show the dog that she is the "pack leader"  and that the food is hers, and she is just sharing it with the dog :-)

The family was so happy that we found their dog, they even brought us some flowers to say thank you.

I called them the next day for something else, and before I hung up they asked, "So ....um...have you seen our dog?"  Yea, less than 24 hours they lost it again.  It dug a hole under the fence to escape the first time, not sure how it got out this time. 

Lose your dog once, and I will feel sorry for you and your kids who just barely got a puppy for the first time (especially because their grandpa had just died that week)  and I will help you find it.

Lose it again, in less than a day, and it starts to get old. 
It is a cute puppy, and now I have friends who helped me find it that say they make no promises they won't keep it for theirselves if they see it around this time.  I guess I can't blame them. 

No comments: