Sam's parents started a foundation in honor of his sister who passed away from colon cancer a few years ago (Susan M Turley Foundation) And a few weeks ago we went down to Tempe for the 2nd annual run fundraiser. We had a great time.
Sam was all ready to do the one mile run but got called up to volunteer last minute, here he is at his post, making sure that no crazy runners miss the sign with the giant arrow and go the wrong way. :)
Rach had fun with two of her cousins that ran the one mile fun run with her. I don't have any pics of my sister and my brother-in-law who came all the way out from Goodyear to run, so this picture of my neice will have to suffice as proof that they were there.
I laughed when I saw the face that she is making while running, looks exactly like some other pics I have of her running the bases in t-ball, and at last year's run. What I thought was some unlucky timing of the camera appears to be a signiture running technique :)
I ended up running the 5k and finished with a time of 26:58.05 and placed 12th out of 85 women.
Funny back story, after preparing well for the half marathon about a month previously, I had only run twice since that race since it got cold and I was in recovering (lazy :) mode. Then, since we were helping out at the race I was in volunteer mode and didn't end of eating anything for breakfast or even having a drink of water, and didn't even realize this until I lined up on the starting line ...oops. About ten feet after the start I was thinking "Man, I am tired." ha ha
The entire cross country team came from the high school where Susan attended, so there were tons of young, fast, runners that I tried to keep up with...so once again, went a bit too fast out of the gate. Oh well. It was a good time, and at least this time I had a little bit of a kick left at the finish line, unlike at the half-marathon...but I would like to have consistant splits instead of feeling laggy in the middle and watching lots of people pass me:)












































1 comment:
Way to go! I wish that I could have been there! Whenever we finally move back to phoenix or anywhere closer than here, I will be there! Your in-laws (& Susan) have a special place in my heart!
I am also training for a half-marathon and you keep inspiring me to keep at it ;-)
Post a Comment