Sunday, March 15, 2009

the weekend

Hmmm...what to say about the weekend.....S-L-O-W! :-)

I really thought I was sick of driving and that I was going to enjoy spending the weekend relaxing here. (We still have driven the 5 hours the Phoenix at least every other week since we moved here, except for the 2 times we went skiing instead, and just last week we were in Vegas. I thought I had my fill of a big city....until I was faced with my first 24 hours on a weekend here :-). During the week it is fine. Rachel is at school and I do my work from home, and chores and then we make dinner, go to t-ball practice and watch tv shows. The weekend however is a different feeling all together.
Rach wanted to go for a walk, so I went, but really how much of this:
can you look at?? hmmm more dirt, and more brown stucco houses. Then she wanted to have a picnic, only she wanted to have it in the front yard-on the driveway. I reasoned that the front yard was not a good spot since all of the stray dogs would come and bother us if we had food. I proposed the alternative, the back yard. It too was paved (ie: not covered in dirt and thorns), plus the dogs won't bother us.



To me it made perfect sense, and she agreed, however not without tricking me into a never ending discussion about how "Well, the dogs can bother us there too, if they smell the food they can jump the fence, dogs can jump fences." Geez! That kid is smart and she doesn't give up. I tried to "discuss" for a while, explaining that 'yes' it could technically happen but the chances are very unlikely, until finally I had to declare the conversation over so we could just enjoy the picnic.

Our evening ended with some Chinese food takeout and another great discussion. Have you ever been posed the question "Why do Chinese people eat chinese food?" Sounds easy enough to answer...but oooooooh was I mistaken. My advice, if you are asked this change the subject--it would also be appropriate to distract with candy :-) Bummer I don't remember any exact quotes-I will have to ask her if she remembers any of it since her memory is so good. All I know is I caught myself laughing quite a few times thinking 'who knew this question would lead to this.'

This morning before church we whipped up some Cinnamon rolls and I was happy to find they turned out (despite me missing the part to add sugar to the dough--doh!-I really wish I could say that type of behavior was not typical-but that would be a lie). It was kinda from scratch. It was from a box, but turns out it involved yeast, and leaving time to rise -so I conclude they count as scratch.


We survived another sunday at church (and yes, 'survived' is the exact word I want to use) :-) and then I spent the day reading this book


I am grateful for Denia lending me this and a couple of other books--all of which have been a little deeper than my typical choices, I am also grateful I am a speed reader and could finish it in one afternoon because I couldn't bare putting it down and going to sleep without closure (it's about a child gone missing). Okay book, though not sure if I would recommend it to my fellow mothers unless you are safe at home with all your family and have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE TO DO :) LOL!





This evening Rachel got in a couple fits of the giggles and I found myself just wanting to go along with her more often in the hopes it would be contagious. Don't you wish there was one thing in each day that would get you as excited as you were as a kid on Christmas morning (cinnamon roll) or that you could be completely giddy (drawing pictures for mom and dad that you find HILARIOUS!) The best was when I was singing her a bedtime song (away in the manger) when halfway through I blanked on the next line. Since this is her favorite song I assure you I have sung it many times. So I pause, meanwhile I am resinging it in my head hoping it will come to me--and then Rach, assuming correctly that I forgot the words, whispers the next few words and then she looks at me with this silly smile and we both starting laughing, and then hearing her giggle off and on made it impossible for me to finish either that or her second request 'silent night'. I found myself disapponted that I have to tell her no all day, to settle down, that "oh that would be fun...maybe someday. I wish I could just give in to anything she is that excited about, anything to let me see this smile all day every day. Buy her a kitty, and a puppy, and a chick, and a bunny, and fly to Boston to go ice skating on the frog pond... I love this picture that my mom took of us that actually captures a little of that excitement. I remember she got so excited and hugged me so hard she was choking me and I had to tell her to ease up. Man--check out her tan arms :-)

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

That is a super cute picture!

Kirsten Krason said...

I love that picture too. I'm sorry you had a boring weekend. But at least it is warm enough where you live to have a picnic!