So excited to just get going. Started hiking the South Kaibab trail about 8:15 am
About half way down the trail. It was pretty surreal, I felt like I was hiking next to a painting--since I have seen so many pictures of the Canyon, it it kind of wierd since you have "seen" the view before----but it didn't seem real that we were *in* it.
Even though I was warned that the bottom of the Canyon is similar to Phoenix weather--I was suprised when the high was 98 degrees down there. This was the only reason I even thought about getting in the frigid Colorado River to cool off. It was "take your breath away" cold.
After staying the night we woke up and splurged by having breakfast at Phantom Ranch. Then went on a short day hike--about 3 miles. We got to this lookout and were ready for snack/lunch and were busting out the chocolate, and we looked to see what time it was--and it was only 8:30 am ha ha ha It is crazy how early you get up when you are sleeping out under the stars.
After we had been hiking several hours, I figured we only had about a mile to go, but I looked up and there was still soooo much to go, a mile definitely looks longer when it is straight up. We were hiking up Bright Angel trail and I believe that 2/3 of the vertical height of the trail is in the last half of it--translation--the last half is pretty steep.
I can see the end of the trail! (the brown building is the visitor's center at the south rim)
I Made it!!!!
No major problems, no blisters, etc--my only complaint was sore calves. Kinda funny--my calf muscles hurt after the hike down and while we were walking around everywhere they were so sore I was walking funny--then I realized they didn't hurt very much at all when I was running--due to the different way your feet land, so it actually felt okay to run/jog around--other than the fact that I looked riduculous, so I went back to walking funny. After hiking out I was sore for about 4 days--still the calves being the worst--I may add calf raises to my training if I ever do it again.
these pictures are just the highlights
For ALL Pics of the Grand Canyon Trip--Click here
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)






































No comments:
Post a Comment