Friday, April 15, 2011

Final ski trip

March 26th,  Headed to Durango for a final ski trip of the season. 

Have I mentioned how much I have enjoyed spending so much time in Durango?  Well, let it be said, that I have.  A cute little town, and the ski resort never seems too busy--nothing like when we went to Salt Lake and got stuck in a giant traffic jam and never actually made it to the resort.  Hopefully we will continue to be able to spend time in Durango even when it isn't a convenient 3 hours away. 

Right as we were packing up the car to leave I realized some bumps on Cali's ear and figured we should actually take her with us to go get checked out at a vet.  In the next 15 minutes I was somehow able to cancel our hotel reservation and make one at a hotel that allowed full-size dogs, (who knew they even existed), found a vet open on a saturday and made an appointment, and found a kennel to board her during the day while we skiied. 

The diagnosis--food allergy.  And in the vet's words "She was about ready to pop."  I noticed her scratching a little more than normal, but apparently the severity of her reaction meant that she has been allergic to food for some time now and when I recently switched her to a new food with what must have more of the ingredient she is allergic to--it elevated her allergy to a whole new level, and if she were to keep going any longer, or say have another irritation like a bug bite--she might swelling up (even more than she already was), having hair fall out, etc.  I just pictured Will Smith's allergic reaction on the movie Hitch ha ha.  good movie.   Then the vet warned us about boarding her that weekend because there was apparently a bad dog virus going around.  So plan b.  We left her in the back of the Xterra while we went skiing.    We checked on her at lunch and got her out to run around, then decided to just be done skiing for the day.  Rachel wasn't finished yet so we compromised by letting her do the bunny slope by her self while we watched Cali.  Cali even ran up the slope to meet her and race down to the bottom.  



No comments: