I was thinking it might be fun to go to one of the basketball games this week since this town is obsessed and we have never gone. When I was at Rachel's school for her class party around 1:00 another mom said there was already a line at the baskeball arena for that evenings game (at 7:30pm mind you). I asked if even in the gigantic stadium the games can sell out, and she said yes. So I figured, I am pretty close to there so while I am here I could run over and grab some tickets, I got there around 2:15. Only problem, apparently the ticket windows weren't even open. What?! These small-town-high-school basketball-obsessed-suckers were standing in line to buy tickets and the ticket window wasn't even going to open until 5:00!!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Pics 1, 2 & 3 are the beginning, middle, and end of the line. WOA! These people are crazy. And I was one of them. I had heard stories about this happening, so I decided that it was a quintisential living on the rez experience that I should take part in at least once while living here. So I waited, then had some nice person save my spot in line while I went back and picked Rach up from school, and sent her home with a neighbor. (the high is only 40 degrees so I figured she would get bored and cold waiting with me). Lucky us, the window opened a little early at 4:30 so I bought some tickets for us, and some friends who said they would come along. Here are the pictures of inside the stadium-There really weren't very many open seats by the time the game got started.
a little Navajo pride
here is the half-time show--some girls doing traditional navajo dancing
.jpg)
Oh-and they sang the Star Spangled Banner in Navajo too.
And while googling the Den to see just how many seats it holds, I found this article
(by the way it says it seats almost 8,000.
Oh and as of the 2000 census, the population here was only 5,366 people
Where do the people come from lol!
So that was 10 years ago...but I don't think many have been flocking here in the past ten years. :-)
4 comments:
WOW, that is quite impressive for high school basketball! When I did a student exchange at Marshall University in West Virginia, their basketball arena sat that many people, and was NEVER that packed. They gave away tickets for free and there was never a line!
That is hilarious!! Good job waiting in line - you've got to experience everything right?
Funny. Love the Navajo pride! :)
When I saw the pictures of all the people I thought you must have moved. Sounds like literally everyone in town was at the game!
Post a Comment