Day 1 Saturday April 14th
8:00 am-- departed Quincy, Massachusetts ...HOORRAY!!! :-)

1:00 pm-- arrived in Palmyra, New York. Drove to the top of Hill Comorah, got a tour of the Smith Home, went for a walk in the Sarced Grove, and drove past the Palmyra Temple.

4:30 pm--Arrived at Niagra Falls, near prospect point. Then we walked over to Terrapin Point where we could see the Horseshoe Falls. We didn't cross over to Canada so we didn't have the greatest view, but it still looked...big. I expected it to be much louder-maybe it is if you are at the bottom, in a boat.

7:13 pm Crossed the Pennsylvania border
8:00 pm Stopped for the night just outside of Cleveland, Ohio

1:00 pm-- arrived in Palmyra, New York. Drove to the top of Hill Comorah, got a tour of the Smith Home, went for a walk in the Sarced Grove, and drove past the Palmyra Temple.

4:30 pm--Arrived at Niagra Falls, near prospect point. Then we walked over to Terrapin Point where we could see the Horseshoe Falls. We didn't cross over to Canada so we didn't have the greatest view, but it still looked...big. I expected it to be much louder-maybe it is if you are at the bottom, in a boat.

7:13 pm Crossed the Pennsylvania border
8:00 pm Stopped for the night just outside of Cleveland, Ohio
Day 1 totals: 690 miles, 10 hours driving time
Day 2 Sunday April 15th
8:30 am Departed from Cleveland, started driving
2:00 pm Pit stop in Indiana

Drove through Illinois (the only sign that I missed) :-(

6:15pm Drove through St. Louis, Missouri-saw the Gateway Arch and the Cardinals stadium (and Sam was tempted to stop and watch the game)
10:00 pm Stopped for the night in Tulsa, Oklahoma. We really enjoyed this sunset as it was the first one we have seen in a long time-I decided to include that for all of my Boston friends in case they have forgotten what one looks like...that and because since it was dark the picture of the Oklahoma sign didn't turn out. We decided this is one city that we could live in. We liked the look of the town, and the people there were very nice ("people" meaning the front desk attendants at the hotel, and the cashiers at the gas station)
Day 2 totals: 14 hours driving, 1000 miles
Day 3, Monday April 17
7:00 am Started our day out early-since we decided to push though all the way back to Phoenix today.

12:15 pm Pit stop in Amarillo, Texas When I walked into the gas station I was asked "So, how can we rip you off today?" ....huh? I guess southern hospitality stopped at the border.
1:00 pm Entered New Mexico and drove through their blasted construction. The barricades being in the photo were on accident-but totally fitting, as they are what we remember most about this state. Many times we were forced to slow down to 45 mph (UGH! I know!-sooooo slow!) for pointless construction. FYI -If you see a sign warning you of a "safety corridor" and that the fines for speeding are doubled--watch out for black police vans (with traffic cameras) hiding just over hills--too bad for them we picked up on their plot and thwarted all their efforts to make a few bucks off of us...not that we were speeding Mom and Dad ;-)

8:00 pm Pit stop in Flagstaff, Arizona but we did NOT get gas...because Sam was so impressed with our gas milage, he wanted to prove that we could make it to Phoenix on this tank."The grass may not be greener on the other side...
but the sun is definitely brighter in Arizona." --amber
10:15 pm We arrived in the outskirts of Phoenix (Sam wins-yea.)
10:45 pm Gas light comes on, and I insist we stop for gas in 15 minutes from home--despite Sam's tantrum. (Man, he gets grumpy when he has to drive for 3 days straight!) :-) I love you Sam. :-)
11:00 pm (I am not sure in which time zone) We pull into Sam's parents' driveway
11:05 pm We were in bed, mad that we were not already asleep.
Day 3 Totals: 1000 miles, 16 hours of driving, 400 miles on one tank of gas
"I am never going to drive that far
again...EVER!" ---Sam
again...EVER!" ---Sam






































3 comments:
YEAH!! You made it!! I LOVE that you took pictures of all the state signs. I would so do the same thing...I bet Sam didnt even slow down for you to get a good shot. Tell Sam we were totally expecting that he'd want to fly back here to help Chris navigate the way home to Utah. I hope you're enjoying the sunshine...we're stuck in a stupid "nor'easter"! Blasted New England!!! ;) I miss you already.
i'm so proud of you guys! way to go and you even made a fun(?) trip out of it!! i'm glad you made it back ok. kim, don't worry, we can hang out in the noreaster and sulk together!
Hey Amber!
Looks like you guys had a great adventure. I am going to miss you... but am very happy to see that you have a blog going for me to check in on you! Come check us out from time to time as well
www.tidepooltoads.blogspot.com
Have fun in your new adventures... and I hope to see you this May around graduation!
Post a Comment