Saturday, December 3, 2011

Feeling inspired

Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best." - Theodore I. Rubin


I have never really had a favorite quote--but this is one that I just ran across that has a lot of meaning to me--so I might have one now.  It pretty much sums up that long post I wrote a while back about the things that have brought me the most joy in my life. 

My dad forwarded me this article today that he thought I would enjoy, and I am glad I took a break from studying for finals to read it.  It was about a runner who I used to run against in high school.  This girl, Sally, and her friend Sara ran for Mountain Point high school and they were in a whole different level from almost everyone else, they would run in every distance event, and one of them would win almost every race. So while I was not on her level, and did not know her personally, I feel a slight connection to her since we both went to high school here, were about the same age, and ran in the same races--we even both ran in the PF Chang event in Tempe in January 2011 (even though I was dealing with lead feet in the half marathon and she WON the marathon LOL!)

I have been having a hard time finding the motivation to study for finals since I am just so exhausted from school.  So I was just posting on our class facebook page (closest thing to a classroom for us distance students)  about this frustration when I read the article. 

It makes me want to just go for a run, and just run....and run....and run.... with my headphones on and the music cranked up.   I picture Bridget running from Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants  (yes, I find inspiration in the most unexpected places).  I just told Sam "There is something so therapeutic about just running"  Too bad I am currently under the fog of a cold and I think I could probably only last a block....which I don't think would be very therapeutic.  :( 

BUT--there is a 5k race this weekend in Sally's honor and for some reason I think I want to run it.  So, this week I am going to try and jog a few times so that I could run the race (and not die).  I'll let you know how that turns out.

Amber

2 comments:

TheCremerFamily said...

i know what you mean i really miss running and wish we could run together! When I see the snow on the ground here in CHinle and feel the cold I just think about all our runs!

TheCremerFamily said...

and oh my gosh i cant believe she died! so sad!!!